Sunday, July 27, 2008

power of the desert

What is it like to be in the desert? I've been to a couple, those that are all dunes, those who have rocks and those that have all sorts of plantlife...I don't think I would want to live in one but I'm always intrigued. There's something inspiring and tranquil about it. While it can be dangerous and harsh, the desert can be aluring...people, animals, plants who live there are strong and durable.

Moses spent 40 years; Paul 3; they went for different reasons but they came out the other side prepared for the difficulties that lay ahead for them...they must of spent huge amounts of time alone, with no one to talk to but God (or in Moses' case, maybe the sheep). In the movie, Lawrence of Arabia, they spend huge amounts of time crossing the desert and they talk about people drawn to the desert...but that people from the desert don't love the desert; they love green places and water.

Perhaps people are drawn to the desert for the challenge or that it is hard to pretend in the desert...strength cannot be faked, weakness is unearthed, and the desert reveals both. The same things happens when we are stripped of our comforts, natural habitats, and routines. We find out who what strengths we have, the person we're not, and maybe even what we could be. Not usually comfortable but always revealing and potentially rewarding. Sometimes cleansing.

Not someplace we need to stay...but someplace we should go and spend some time.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: