I love questions. Certainly, I prefer asking them to answering them but even that indicates that a desire for clarification, understanding or just a need to know. I don't agree that there are no stupid questions. I taught middle school long enough to learn that.
Last week, at the Bible study I'm responsible for, a man came full of questions. He is extremely intelligent and has thought through many of the issues of religion and philosophy and science. However, like so many of this day, he has thrown away all that he cannot explain entirely to build his own personal beliefs. Nothing is taken on faith, all has to be proven in order to be true. His defense mechanism is to make those who have faith seem irrational.
His last statement is the one that has stayed with all week: that the world would be better off without religion and the Bible. His point being that so many who have religion and claim the Bible as authority cause so many wars and deaths in the name of their faith...unfortunately from that point of logic, he is not correct. There have been so many religious wars of every type and so many that promote hate and use the Bible to justify their own righteous cause. I couldn't disagree even though I didn't agree that we would be better off without the Bible. It mostly made me sad that religion has blocked so many people's desire to know God.
Tomorrow it is back to this same Bible study...hope this man comes again...this week we talk about Noah!
Oh, normally I put a picture with an entry but unfortunately, my camera has closed its lenses for the last time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment